Chambray Grainline Studio Archer

Seriously everyone has already made the Archer Button Up Shirt pattern from Grainline Studios and I feel a little beside myself for not making one sooner. I purchased the Archer pattern when Jen first released it in the beginning of time. I finally cut everything out last year and the pieces of fabric have been living peacefully in the same spot since summer 2017.

Sewing a shirt is not hard, but I thought it would be. I didn’t want to sew a button up because it always seemed intimidating no matter who said “don’t be scared this is easy.” They were right, obviously, and I feel stupid about it, kind of.

Here’s the thing about sewing a button up shirt: THERE ARE A LOT OF PIECES. Around 14 I think? Also, a lot of buttons. BUT, if you like sewing straight lines I promise you’ll like sewing this shirt. Just get over the big scary words like PLACKET, BUTTON HOLES, and COLLAR STAND. I swear they are nothing more than a bunch of straight lines followed by a couple of clipped curves.

If you have any concerns about the pattern, just follow the sewalong. Jen basically holds your hand through the ENTIRE project. And if you don’t like her version of how to put together the collar, use Andrea’s tutorial, she’s a wizard.

Fitting. The Archer Button Up is supposed to be a loose fitting shirt. I sewed a size two even though deep down I knew I should have sewn a size smaller (judging by the finished measurements), but I didn’t want to change too much on my first try. So my shirt is extra loose fitting and the shoulder drops past my actual shoulder too much, which I don’t want to hate as much as I do. I did shorten the sleeves by two inches. Also, why on earth I didn’t shorten the bodice blows my mind. I’m 5ft nothing, this thing completely covers my ass.

Dear Brenna, you are tiny, please shorten bodice by at least two inches. Thank you.

I made a note to myself a year ago that I should sew the side seams and sleeve seams at 5/8 instead of ½, but totally forgot. Next time.

Fabric. I purchased this poly cotton chambray about six years ago on ebay. Love the color and it presses well. The copper buttons are from an Etsy seller from a few years back. And the fusible interfacing is from Fashion Sewing Supply. Love their stuff.

Not that you can tell in the photos, but I accidentally used interfacing that’s too stiff. I don’t know which one I used. I have several different weights, but I don’t remember which one I cut out, so that’s pretty cool. It makes the drape on the shirt more stiff than I wanted, but again, first time. I’m not going to be hard on myself.

I love the shirt and want to make another one in a drapier fabric like rayon challis or voile.

Guys, thank you for reading and it’s finally spring! We did it!